Today someone paid me a compliment.
He said … “we need more people like you Shannan, people who tell the truth and fight for what’s right and push people to see what they sometimes don’t want to see”.
And I said to him “but people like me don’t go far in places like this”.
And he just shrugged and smiled.
In a world where people are trying to get by and get higher and bigger and better and richer by lying and cheating and stepping on other peoples feelings there are few of us who are willing to work hard, tell the truth and stick with it.
So many of us lose our integrity on a daily basis. And I guess I’m not willing to lose mine.
In times like this I have to think of Job from the bible. Yes, I’m going to quote the bible … are you ready for this? And if you’re a theologian just shush because I’m going to use some major creative story telling license here.
Job (pronounced Jobe) was a good man. He worked really hard and he praised God always. His life was bountiful!
One day Satan and God passed each other so they had a chat. And God said “Have you seen my mate Job? He’s honest and true and hardworking and devoted and he hates evil”.
And Satan said “You know God, Job only praises you because he has all that land and cattle and all those healthy children and because his life is so good, you protect him. But if you were to take it all away he would curse you”.
And God said “No way man, Job is a good guy and I reckon if he’s tested he’ll come up trumps”.
So Satan destroys everything of Job’s! His 500 oxen, 500 donkeys, 7000 sheep, and 3000 camels. Then to top it off Satan kills all ten of Job’s kids.
And sure enough Job doesn’t curse God. Of course he’s upset. He’s horrified and grieving and feeling completely wretched. But he knows that God hasn’t killed his family or his animals.
But still that’s not enough for Satan (because he’s a giant jackass), so he goes back to God and says “Let me hurt him”.
And God says “Well alright, but you can’t kill him”.
So Satan smites (yes, SMITES) Job and he gets boils all over his body. He’s in terrible pain and he’s all scabby and oozing puss, it’s totally gross. And his wife tells him to curse God. But Job says “Don’t be a bloody foolish woman, how can I only accept the good days from God and not also the bad days?”
Still Job didn’t curse God. He kept his integrity. He still loved God and hated evil.
Anyway the story goes on and on and on but in the end Job is rewarded for his devotion and his steadfastness. In fact he lives for another 140 years, has another 10 kids and gets twice as many livestock as before. And his daughters (there were 3 of them) were the most beautiful in the land!
I guess all of that just to tell you that there are good days and there are bad days. And some days the bad days suck a lot! And some days it feels like the bad guys are winning.
But whether you believe in God or karma or retribution. Know that what goes around comes around.
And it may not happen today or tomorrow but your hard work and honesty will pay off. Stay strong, don’t lose your integrity, fight the good fight.
The liars and the cheaters and the morally corrupt people of the world will get what’s coming to them. And if it’s not in this life it will certainly be in the next.
Amen

In my heart I so want to believe this and was brought up on the Bible; the story of Job was one repeated ad infinitum. It was always meant to be inspirational and showed God's love and concern and ultimate justice. But I found it scary then, and scary now. mostly I don't understand how taking the life of children was allowed to be fair game in this tug-o-war between God and Satan. I also want to believe in what goes around comes around. I want to believe it so much. But so often it just doesn't happen that way. I just don't get it. I want to maintain my own integrity but integrity doesn't seem to stand for much of anything. Am I really being negative about this? or just plain jaded with life?
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. It is scary and I don't understand myself why God would let Satan do what he did. But maybe I don't know the story well enough and I certainly don't know God's thoughts. Sometimes I wonder if they are real stories or more fables - which I know is not a comment or thought that would sit well with the majority of Christians. I have clearly chosen to use this story in a way that I want to use it to benefit my story.
DeleteI also agree that it's tough to maintain integrity when it feels like everyone else is gaining more by not being that way.
I don't think you're being negative, I think maybe I was being too optimistic. Maybe I was trying to convince myself that I was doing the right thing.
But thinking about it again, would I change myself? Would I be a liar and a cheater to get ahead? No, I could never be that way, because that's not what's in my soul, it's not the essence of who I am.
And I don't think it's who you are either MG.
Often people with high integrity are victims of bullies (people with no integrity). It happens in the workplace a lot. Those who are bullied (who have high integrity) usually leave the workplace and manage to keep their integrity in tact, are able to hold their head high and can sleep straight in bed at night, knowing that they always remained honest, were kind and maintained high values and morals and did not use their power to hurt anyone. Those with high integrity will 'win' in the end as karma will happen- eventualy. And so endeth my story. xo
ReplyDelete