Monday, February 17, 2014

Canadian rock, llama & $23 shoes

Did I ever tell you the story about when I bought a rock?
So I was traveling through Canada & was all the way up in the Yukon. Getting there was an adventure in itself. I think it was a 2 day bus ride & then I caught a tiny plane (I always refer to it as the silver bullet of death) before I arrived in Dawson City. It's a mining town & somewhat touristy in the summer months. I had just missed summer by 2 weeks. 
I was staying in a hostel across the river that you caught a barge across. The hostel was rustic. Log cabins & fire pits galore. When I arrived there was 1 other person there. And he was leaving that day. There was no heat in the rooms. Nothing but a few blankets for warmth & no electricity. I lasted only by using every blanket in my cabin & keeping a steady supply of tea lights lit. The bathroom was an out house & I would put all my clothes on at night to run there & hope that a stray bear wouldn't eat me. 
Anyway. Apparently the area is known for dinosaur era stuff. And one day I was looking in a store & the guy was telling me about the rock, about how old it was. Dated back to blah blah blah. 
Anyway. I bought it. 
I have never put that rock on display. It is still wrapped in the paper bag it came in. And when I open it the stench is disgusting. I can only assume from the millions of dinosaur feet that have trampled on it. 

Needless to say I learnt my lesson about buying things while traveling. 

When I travel now I don't really get the urge to buy things for myself. My gifts are the moments I get to experience & memories as well as photos. 
That being said I bought myself a little something in buenos aires :)

Tonight I leave Salta. In the north. I am about to experience my third overnight bus in 2 weeks & I have more to come. 

Salta is a cute town. I took some day tours to small villages which was eye opening & the sights along the way were gorgeous. Salta is all luscious & green & the clouds are low. But a few hours out & it's hot & sunny & the green mountains turn to red rock which has been eroded by the wind.  

In one of the villages we stopped at I ate llama for lunch. I figured that a few days before I had fed a llama so I may as well eat one. *shrug* it was ok. Quite tender I guess. Although part way through I looked up & said "is this like eating a horse?".


I have met some people along the way & had some interesting conversations. One morning over breakfast, a German girl was telling me about her dating woes. She told me that men online seemed to not tell the truth about how high they are. (I love it when Germans speak English). I almost spat out my croissant because I couldn't believe that men in Germany lie about their height too!

I've been traveling for 2 weeks & it still feels like I just started. I'm tired every single day but I still have so much to see & I'm itching to move on to Chile in a few days. 

I realize that although I'm excited about my travel through Bolivia in a few weeks, I'm actually really super nervous about it. But I'm trying to focus on right now. And I guess I'll worry about Bolivia when I get there because I have lots to see before then. 

I can only hope that my $23 sneakers last until the end of the trip because they're already looking a bit sorry 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment